Connecting Links to receive provincial funding support

KAPUSKASING—The Federation of Northern Ontario Municipalities (FONOM) commends the Ontario government for announcing today that they will be providing funding to the Connecting Links program once again.

The Minister of Transportation, Steven Del Duca, committed $15 million annually to 77 communities across the province with funding available beginning in spring 2016. The Connecting Links program will assist municipalities with road maintenance and repairs for provincial highways that run through their communities. Previously, under the Connecting Links program, the province covered 90 percent of the costs while the municipality was responsible for the remaining 10 percent.

“This announcement demonstrates that the province is listening to us. They recognize the importance of ensuring that our highways are maintained and safe to travel,” said Alan Spacek, mayor of Kapuskasing and president of FONOM. “The program will also eliminate the burden for many municipalities across the North who are currently responsible for maintaining portions of highways within their communities.”

FONOM appreciates the efforts by Minister Del Duca, Minister of Northern Development and Mines, Michael Gravelle and Minister of Government and Consumer Services, David Orazietti, for their efforts