MANITOULIN— This rifle deer hunting season on Manitoulin Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF) conservation officers (COs) laid a total of 36 charges, down slightly over last year.
“We contacted 318 hunters, checking licences and speaking with hunters, laid 36 charges and issues 84 warnings,” said MNRF Supervisor Dave Scarlett. “The charges laid were for hunting without a licence, uncased firearm at night, having a loaded firearm in a vehicle and not wearing hunter orange. The warnings were for not wearing proper hunter orange, failure to carry a licence, unproperly attaching a seal to a deer and not wearing a proper helmet while operating an ATV. We also seized two deer. We brought COs in from Sudbury and Espanola to help as well.”
Mr. Scarlett commented that it was a slower harvest due to the warm weather.
Last year the MNRF laid 41 charges and connected with 642 hunters, while in 2013 they only laid 11 charges (an uncommonly low year). In 2012 the number of charges was also 41, while in 2011 there were 33 charges laid and 50 in 2010.
On the policing side, Al Boyd, Community Services Officer with the Manitoulin Detachment of the OPP, said it was a quiet hunting week.
“I was just going through the occurrences before you called and I didn’t see much hunting related,” Constable Boyd told The Expositor Monday morning. “We had a couple of minor trespassing complaints. We did a number of RIDE checks and were pleased to see sober drivers who were properly licenced. We did have a few minor car-deer collisions, but all around it was a safe, good week. One of the quieter hunting weeks for us in a number of years.”