POSITION: Education Director – Full-time (Permanent)
LOCATION: Wiikwemkoong Board of Education
START DATE: Immediately
The Director reports to the board of the Wiikwemkoong Board of Education (WBE). The director is accountable to the WBE, and through the WBE, to the Chief and Council of Wikwemikong Unceded Indian Reserve for the organization and operation of the WBE.
The Education Director (ED) will be responsible for overall programing, administration, and supervision of all the educational programs at all WBE schools. The ED supervises the Systems Principal, Senior Business Official and the Program Managers for the Hub Centre and Post-Secondary. Duties include the following:
- Oversee the implementation of new curriculum as set by Ministry guidelines, while ensuring Anishinaabe inclusive curriculum is implemented at all grade levels.
- Maintain liaison with community organizations (inter-agency resources).
- Oversees management, organization, attendance, discipline of school, extra-curricular supervision, and other records; administration of school programs, and engage parents/community in school operations.
- Develop and maintain communication with all stakeholders.
- Maintain local Provincial and National initiatives in Education.
- Must be self-directed and able to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Wide variety of knowledge relating to computer applications and functions.
- Excellent leadership and oral and written communication skills.
- Developed interpersonal skills and ability to effectively work with management, employees, and community members.
- Good analytical, problem-solving, and conflict resolution skills.
- Be able to work overtime to meet deadlines and the demands of emergency situations.
- Development and project management skills.
- Ability to build on the skills of employees and capacity.
- Ability to lead a team environment and work independently.
- Five (5) years of work experience in a senior management position for a First Nation, public sector or government service agency.
- Experience writing proposals, policies, procedures and reports.
- Experience working with schools and school boards.
- Possess a graduate or undergraduate university degree in education, public administration, business administration or a related field.
- Ontario College of Teachers Certificate would be an asset.
- Provide a resume, three current work references on letterhead within the last 90 days.
- Recent copy of performance appraisal/evaluation.
- This position comes with full Ontario Teacher’s Pension Plan (OTPP) and benefits.
- Current (original) criminal/vulnerable reference check (within the last 90 days) upon conditional letter of offer.
- Possess a valid Ontario driver’s licence and dependable insured vehicle.
Closing Date: Friday, January 22, 2021 @ 2 p.m.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, three work-related references and copies of your qualifications to:
Kevin Wassegijig, Director of Operations
Confidential: Education Director Position
Box 112, 19A Complex Drive
Wikwemikong ON P0P 2J0
We thank all interested applicants. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit copies as there is no return of submissions. Late submissions will not be considered.
For a copy of full job description, please contact the
WBE Administration Office 705-859-3834.