Position Title Full-Time Financial / Administrative Support Worker
35 hours/week with a 6-month probationary period
Pay Range: $33,744 – $42,257
Purpose of Position
- To assist the Treasurer in their statutory duties including ongoing municipal operations.
- To assist in the financial and administrative operations of the Township Office.
- To administer special projects at the direction of the CAO/Clerk.
Scope of Position
- Works in accordance with the accounting and administrative policies and practices in the Township and according to the Municipal Act and other legislation.
- Expected to organize work and discuss priorities with the CAO/Clerk and Treasurer.
- To act as the office secretary handling and directing incoming public enquiries.
- Maintain all general ledger accounts for the Township, ledger to sub ledger balancing and adjusting, and bank reconciliations.
- Funds transfers, administering of direct withdrawals, associated ledger adjustments, other funds maintenance operations.
- Report all discrepancies to the Treasurer immediately.
- Assist in year-end accounting processes and analysis and preparation of year-end financial statements and Financial Information Return (FIR).
- Prepare Billings (Quarterly Water Levy, Interim and Final Tax Bills, etc.).
- Assist with Cemetery Plot sales and processing.
- Assist with Building Permit sales and processing.
- Complete tax certificates and letters of compliance upon request.
- To perform clerical tasks including typing of correspondence, by-laws and reports, general filing, document reviewing, maintaining stationery and supply inventory, etc.
- To replace other staff as required, including direct dealing with the public, receipting, distribution of forms and provision of information, directing incoming mail and replying if and as instructed.
- Receive guidance, instruction and assignment of non-routine tasks from the CAO/Clerk.
- Perform adjustments and ledger maintenance operations as other administrative staff may call to notice.
- Follow reporting instructions and work closely with government funding agencies and statutory reporting agencies.
- Provide information, collect taxes, fines and fees, issue various permits and maintain a tactful relationship with the public.
Knowledge and Skills
- Post-Secondary diploma or degree in Accounting or Business Administration is a definite asset.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Financial experience is necessary.
- Knowledge of Financial Reporting Software, preferably Sage XLGL.
- Knowledge of computer hardware systems and basic troubleshooting, and usual business software, including Excel.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, meet reporting deadlines, and organize data.
- Knowledge of Municipal Government, its operations and services are not required but will be considered an asset.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Research, analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to take direction and provide information exactly as specified for auditor, funding agencies, etc.
- Valid Driver’s Licence (minimum Class G) and access to a vehicle.
- Usual public office conditions.
- Work is subject to hectic peak periods and deadlines.
- General supervision from the CAO/Clerk
Impact of Error
Accounting and clerical errors would require additional time to trace and correct.
Failure to track and report on certain projects and grant programs will result in significant loss of funding to the Township.
Failure to submit certain reports will jeopardize the Township’s autonomy under the Municipal Act.
Deadline to Apply September 8th, 2021 @ 12pm
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Resumes to be submitted to Kathy McDonald, CAO/Clerk by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.