Occupational Therapy Assistant
NAANDWECHIGE-GAMIG Wikwemikong Health Centre requires a motivated, energetic and career-minded Occupational Therapy Assistant in our Aasgaabwitwindwaa Binoojiinhik Program (formerly known as School Health Support Services) serving the communities of Wiikwemkoong, M’Chigeeng, Whitefish River First Nation and Sagamok Anishnawbek.
The Occupational Therapy Assistant will act as a team player operating in a collaborative and interdisciplinary environment, with a focus on enabling occupational performance in the areas of self-care and productivity within the school environment. As an effective communicator, the Occupational Therapy Assistant will have demonstrated skills in group settings and one-on-one situations, and work well both independently and in collaboration with others. He/she will provide occupational therapy treatment to students and complete associated documentation.
Under the supervision of the Occupational Therapist:
• Utilize specialized occupational therapy knowledge and skills to encourage/facilitate activity of daily living skills and productivity;
• Provide individualized intervention, consultation and education as part of an interdisciplinary team either in-person or through virtual means (telephone, email, videoconference);
• Consult to define, monitor and adapt the appropriate plan of action of the specific individual’s case;
• Provide on-going monitoring of individual’s progress towards identified goals;
• Document pertinent information as it relates to the delivery of occupational therapy services;
• Understand and comply with the legal requirements of licensure, legislation, scope of practice, and policies and procedures of the program;
• Respect the individual’s beliefs and values and protect their right to confidentiality, privacy and dignity;
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Diploma from a college-level Occupational Therapy Assistant and Physiotherapy Assistant program preferred. Other college-level diplomas and university degrees in combination with relevant experience will be considered;
• Employment or fieldwork placement experience in pediatric occupational therapy settings preferred, with school health experience considered an asset
• Ability to function within an interdisciplinary team (including education and health care professionals);
• Demonstrated ability to work independently;
• Ability to adapt to and work effectively within a variety of situations, and with various individuals or groups;
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with pediatric clients and their families and with colleagues using a variety of formats;
• Ability to recognize individual learning styles and adapt communication and therapeutic approach accordingly;
• Demonstrated ability in problem-solving and critical thinking.
For a completed job description, please contact Melissa Roy. All applicants MUST submit a letter of application, current resume, credentials and two work related reference contacts, marked CONFIDENTIAL to:
Occupational Therapy Assistant
Attention: Melissa Roy, Executive Assistant
NAANDWECHIGE-GAMIG Wikwemikong Health Centre
P.O. Box 101, 16A – Complex Drive
Wikwemikong, Ontario P0P 2J0
Deadline: September 25, 2020 @ 4:00pm
Copies of the following will be requested from the SUCCESSFUL candidate:
CPIC/VSS, Driver’s Licence & Abstract.
DO NOT INCLUDE IN PACKAGE.
We thank all applicants; only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Incomplete submissions will not be accepted. No return of submissions.