Manitoulin Streams is currently searching for a hard-working, motivated youth (18-30) to join their team as a Waterkeeper for Mnidoo Mnising (Manitoulin Island). During the summer of 2021, Manitoulin Streams will fund a female Indigenous Waterkeeper (traditional knowledge blended with water quality “scientist”) to better understand watershed issues on Manitoulin Island. The position will provide services to local communities through environmental water data gathering and protection; public educational awareness and stewardship activities that build and support improved water quality across Manitoulin Island.
Work Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Collection of water samples from Manitoulin Island stream watersheds and shorelines.
- Participate in stream assessments.
- Ability to engage volunteers, landowners, interest groups within First Nations and Municipalities to participate in stream/watershed protection and rehabilitation by helping plan stewardship activities i.e. tree planting, shoreline cleanups, help with phragmites removal and citizen scientist data collection initiatives.
- Ability to help build capacity in communities to provide relevant educational knowledge teaching opportunities by partnering with local schools, community interest groups and people of all ages through workshops, presentations, water ceremonies, community events, etc.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Contribute toward educational awareness information on social media, local newspapers, website, etc.
- Organizational skills and ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Enrolled in or pursuing secondary education in biology, environmental science or related resource management programs.
- Familiarity with computers (word, outlook, excel, etc.).
- Ability to work flexible hours and conduct fieldwork.
- Valid driver’s licence and have access to a vehicle for the position.
Wage Rate: $17.00/hour
Number of Hours/Week: 35
Position Duration: 8 weeks
The successful applicant should meet eligibility criteria to quality for wage contribution from MMET and LDM subsidy requirements.
Please forward resume and cover letter to: Manitoulin Streams Improvement Association
c/o Seija Deschenes, 25B Spragge St., Box 238, Manitowaning, ON P0P 1N0,
Email: email@example.com. The deadline for applications is June 18, 2021 2:00 pm.