It doesn’t seem to matter what the weather is like for growing vegetables in my garden. Be it either cool, dry, hot or wet, the zucchini just keep on producing! Enough, I am running out of recipes.
Sunday was a rainy morning, couldn’t work in the garden so I baked some, yes, zucchini bread.
This recipe is great. Make sure the avocado is ripe otherwise you can’t mash it and it will leave little hard chunks in the bread. Chop the walnuts more on the fine side than coarse because if the walnuts are too big the bread will crumble when you cut it.
1/3 cup milk—your choice
1 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and
1/2 cup dry sweetener—your choice
(white, brown, cane, coconut sugar)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon zest
1 1/2 cups spelt flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 cup grated zucchini with skin on
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease or use parchment
paper for a 8- x 4-inch pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the flax seeds, mashed avocado, milk and sweetener and beat until creamy and smooth. Mix in the vanilla and lemon zest.
3. Sift in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
4. Fold in the zucchini and the walnuts. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 55 to 70 minutes or until the top is firm to the touch and the sides are pulling away from the pan.
5. Let the pan cool completely before inverting the loaf. Let the loaf sit for a bit before slicing.
Warning: Slice it when it is too warm and it will crumble.
Pumpkin Banana Zucchini Loaf
This loaf is so different from the other recipe. More ingredients and twice the height. I had a can of pure pumpkin sitting in the cupboard from last fall. Trying to use up what I have in the cupboard!
*Do not use an 8- x 4-inch pan. It’s too small and the batter won’t cook properly.
1 cup each of spelt and unbleached white flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon and ginger
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1 cup canned pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 cup grated zucchini
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup your choice of dry sweetener
1/4 cup sunflower seed oil
1 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray, oil or use parchment paper for a 9- x 5-inch pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together both flours, flax meal, baking powder, soda, salt and spices. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients and the zucchini.
Gently blend everything until moistened. Fold in the nuts. Don’t overmix.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let sit until cool then remove loaf from pan.