MANITOULIN – Three more major Manitoulin summer events have been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. These include the Haweater Weekend celebrations, Pearson Cup and the Mindemoya Youth Softball tournament.
On May 8, the Little Current Lions Club announced that it would be cancelling the 53rd edition of Haweater Weekend, set to take place on the Civic Holiday weekend, July 31 to August 2, in Little Current. This will mark the first time this iconic Manitoulin event has been cancelled.
“The Lions Club and Haweater Committee have thought long and hard on what action to take regarding Haweater 2020 and it was felt that in the best interest of Haweaters and Haweaters at heart, we would best serve the community by holding off on festivities this year,” said Lion President Bruce Burnett.
The Pearson Cup committee has also made the tough decision to cancel its 2020 tournament in Mindemoya.
“After much thought and consideration and due to the public health restrictions, the Pearson Cup Committee regrets to inform Pearson Cup blooperball participants that we have decided to cancel the upcoming ball tournament to be held in Mindemoya on Father’s Day weekend June 19, 20 and 21, 2020,” said Karlene Scott, Pearson Cup chairperson, in a release.
“This decision was not an easy one to make as we look forward to hosting this event and seeing everyone, but at this time the health and personal well-being of all ball players, spectators and the community as a whole is of utmost importance to us and we feel this is the safest and most responsible course of action to take and cancel this event for this year.”
The organizing committee for the Mindemoya Youth Softball Tournament has announced, regrettably, its decision to cancel this year’s third annual tournament.
The tournament was to be held on June 26 to 28, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic and health concerns, the organizers have cancelled the event.
The tournament committee had been holding out faint hope that this COVID-19 pandemic would have been much more under control and they would have been able to build on their first two years of softball enthusiasm for the youth of Manitoulin and area, a release noted. However, with the safety of all concerned the sad decision to cancel the tournament had to be taken.
“Optimistically, the committee is looking at a possible option of hosting a smaller event in the fall from September 11 to 13. This, of course, will depend on the guidelines as set by our provincial health regulators. This event may to have to be cancelled if life is not back to somewhat normal. Fingers crossed.”