(NORTH BAY, ON) – The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) in the North East Region had a very busy long weekend. Officers were out on full force on the highways, waterways and trails, targeting aggressive drivers.
One fatality involving a dirt bike was reported in the Manitoulin OPP Detachment area on June 29.
In the entire North East Region, officers laid over 700 charges, including:
- Speeding – 477
- Stunt Driving – 9
- Hazardous Moving Violations – 39
- Impaired Charges Alcohol – 4
- Impaired Charges Drug – 1
- Marine Charges – Small Vessel Regulations – 14
At the North Bay OPP Detachment, officers laid over 120 charges, including:
- Speeding – 100
- Hazardous Moving Violations – 3
- Impaired Charges Alcohol – 2 (plus one Refusal)
- Marine Charges – Small Vessel Regulations – 4
Please help do your part to getting everyone home safe this summer. Drivers can adopt safe, defensive driving behaviours. Passengers and the public in general can help by adopting an intolerance of these behaviours and recognizing the serious risk they pose to the road users. Wear a lifejacket while out on the water and always drive sober!