WIKWEMIKONG— As a result of the ongoing investigation into the death of Percy (Junior) Simon, charges have been upgraded to first degree murder against the three individuals who were involved in an altercation that resulted in the death of the 33-year-old Sudbury man, formerly of Wikwemikong.
The Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service and the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) North East Region Crime Unit, under the direction of the OPP Criminal Investigation Branch (CIB) Acting Detective Inspector Gilles Depratto, have been continuing their investigation into the incident which occurred at a home located on Andrew Crescent in Wikwemikong on May 17.
According to Mr. Simon’s widow, Joannie Leedham, on the night of May 16 Mr. Simon attended the Andrew Crescent residence to have drinks with friends, but never came home.
“I wasn’t there, but I guess they had been drinking and there was a misunderstanding,” Ms. Leedham previously told The Expositor. “Things got out of control, but for three people to do this to someone is hard to understand. I feel angry. Someone should have stopped it. This never should have happened.”
“I never could have imagined this would happen,” Ms. Leedham added. “It was awful. He had goals, he had ambitions. What happened to him isn’t fair—it shouldn’t have happened.”
On June 22, 31-year-old Robert Travis Wemigwans of Wikwemikong, 43-year-old Tammy Trudeau, also of Wikwemikong, and 56-year-old Byron Kagige of Hamilton appeared at the Ontario Court of Justice in Gore Bay to speak to the charge of First Degree Murder as per the Criminal Code of Canada.
Acting Detective Inspector Gilles Depratto told The Expositor that a degree of planning the crime was involved by the three accused in order to charge them with first degree murder.
All three accused have been remanded into custody and are scheduled to appear again on July 13 at the Ontario Court of Justice in Gore Bay.