What is carfentanil?
Carfentanil is a very toxic opioid that is significantly more potent than fentanyl and people who use carfentanil may be at high risk of overdose.
• Is a toxic synthetic opioid which is sometimes mixed into street drugs.
• Is not intended for human consumption.
• Has been used in tablets that look like prescription drugs.
• Has no smell or taste and you can’t see it. You may not know that your drug is laced with carfentanil.
• Comes in many forms: powder, pill, liquid and blotter.
Prevent opioid overdose / save lives:
• Avoid mixing drugs, including prescribed, over the counter and illegal drugs.
• Avoid drinking alcohol while using other drugs.
• When switching substances or if you have not used in a while, start with a lower dose.
• Avoid using drugs when you are alone. If this is not possible, ask a friend to check in on you.
• When using drugs with a friend, do not use at the same time.
• Carry a naloxone kit.
• Use multiple doses of naloxone as needed.
• Call 911 if you suspect an overdose.
Overdose symptoms include:
• blue lips or nails
• dizziness and confusion
• can’t be woken up
• choking, gurgling or snoring sounds
• slow, weak or no breathing
• drowsiness or difficulty staying awake
For a free naloxone kit, contact The Point at Public Health Sudbury & Districts, Réseau Access Network, Sudbury Action Centre for Youth (SACY) or ask your local pharmacist.
Please distribute this information widely to help share the message.