No new cases for Manitoulin Lodge, but still under lockdown
MANITOULIN—The news is good when it comes to COVID-19 outbreaks in Manitoulin Island long-term care and nursing homes.
Don Cook, administrator of the Manitoulin Centennial Manor in Little Current provided some great news this past Monday morning. “Things are very good. I just received word from public health that we can announce that the outbreak can be declared over.”
The outbreak had been declared at the Manor 22 days ago, said Mr. Cook and at its peak, COVID-19 affected 42 residents and 19 staff members. “The board and management of the Manor would like to thank staff for their hard work in containing the outbreak and having it declared over in just over three weeks, and making sure the outbreak didn’t including the whole facility.”
An outbreak at the Little Current site of Manitoulin Health Centre, in-patient unit, has also been declared over.
Jaime-Lynn Kalmikov, administrator of the Manitoulin Lodge Nursing Home in Gore Bay told The Expositor Monday morning, “31 cases of residents with COVID has been resolved, with eight still active. Fourteen cases have been resolved among staff, with six active cases. Things are getting better and if nothing changes we would be out of the outbreak next Monday.”
As was reported in last week’s edition of The Expositor, it was reported that as of Monday, July 18 10 residents of the Manitoulin Lodge had been effected, but no staff members. As of July 25, 21 residents and four teams members had tested positive for COVID-19.
Sonja Morningstar, administrator of the Wikwemikong Nursing Home confirmed that the nursing home does not currently have any cases of COVID-19.