Hydro One is advising residents on Manitoulin Island and surrounding areas of Whitefish Falls and Killarney of a planned power outage on Saturday, October 24 required for crews to safely perform scheduled maintenance and complete upgrades in the area. This work will help improve reliability in the area and equipment must be de-energized for the duration of the job.
- When: Saturday, October 24 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Where: The planned outage will affect approximately 10,400 Hydro One customers on Manitoulin Island and surrounding areas including Birch Island, Whitefish Falls, Willisville and east to Killarney.
- What: Hydro One crews will be completing the required upgrades and performing scheduled maintenance to help ensure a safe and reliable supply of electricity. Crews will be replacing 8 transmission structures, 3 wood poles and will install two osprey nest platforms. Hydro One crews will also complete forestry maintenance to keep trees and brush safe distances away from our equipment.
We know this is a challenging time to be without power and we would like to thank our customers for their patience during this time. Additional crews and equipment are being brought in to complete as much local area work as possible during this outage.
Below are some tips to help you and your family during an outage:
- Make sure your appliances, such as the stove, are in the off position.
- Make sure your phone and extended battery packs are fully charged.
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. Use a cooler with ice for items you’ll need during the planned outage.
- Consider filling jugs of water to use for drinking and cooking.
- If you plan to use a generator, remember to use it in a dry area outdoors away from any open windows, doors and vents. Visit the Electrical Safety Authority at esasafe.com for more tips.
- If you have a bathtub, consider filling it with water before the planned outage begins. You can use the water and a bucket to fill your toilet tank to be able to flush.
In order to ensure our crews can continue working for all Ontarians, we ask that customers respect physical distancing.
Affected customers have been notified via auto-dialer and can visit Hydro One’s outage map or call 1-888-664-9376 for more information.