Residents appeal to Ombudsman’s office on Mindemoya Drain

MINDEMOYA—The property owners affected by the Mindemoya Drain and their share of costs involved in the project have now made an appeal to the Ontario Ombudsman’s office.

“Basically, two things are going on,” said Steven Shaffer, a Mindemoya resident, in an interview with the Recorder this past Sunday. “One is back to the Mindemoya drain. As a group we have asked the Ombudsman’s office to investigate the grant funding that was provided for this project to the municipality (Central Manitoulin), where the funds went and why there was no break in the share of the costs provided by the landowners as we had been told there would be.”

“The Ombudsman’s office has opened an informal investigation,” said Mr. Shaffer.

A spokesman for the Ombudsman’s office said due to confidentiality, no comment could be provided at this time as to whether an investigation is being carried out.